Saturday, August 23, 2008

Strawberry Romaine Salad! Yum!

We were running late for church this morning, so I just threw some things in the vitamix for our morning smoothie, and I didn't get the spinach out. So the smoothies this morning were just banana, pear, a few raw walnuts (off my friend's tree, yum!), a little flax-seed oil, and a frozen three-berry blend - raspberries, blackberries and marionberries. It was a gorgeous reddish-purple color and pretty yummy!

For a sort of late lunch we threw together a Strawberry Romaine Salad. Romaine lettuce, sliced fresh strawberries, chopped green onion, sliced baby portabello mushrooms, chopped raw almonds, and a creamy strawberry-peach vinaigrette dressing that we kind of made up as we went. It had strawberries, a peach, a few cashews and almonds, EVOO, lemon juice, a bit of seasoned rice vinegar (I'm assuming that's ok... I see a lot of recipes using Apple Cider vinegar... somebody comment and let me know if I'm wrong?), green onion, garlic, paprika, a dash of cayenne, and um... I think that was it. We just kept playing with it until we thought it would work on the salad, and it did pretty well! I think I'd rather leave the nuts out next time so it's not a creamy dressing, but it was pretty good. Wow, only day 5 and look at us, experimenting already!

Had a light supper, just a couple nectarines and a banana. So far no cravings for anything that I can't have, or make as a raw dish; so far so good!

No comments: