Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mmmm... Corn Cakes!

For dinner tonight, I made Corn Cakes. I had them in the dehydrator by 10 a.m. and oh, it was almost torture smelling them all day long! I had to fiddle with my dehydrator on and off all day because it said to set the thermostat for 105° and my dehydrator doesn't have a thermostat! It's set to 135° all the time. So I propped the lid open a bit to keep the temperature lower, with the probe of a meat thermometer tucked in next to the cakes. Every now and then it would get too hot anyway, so I'd close the lid and turn it off for a few minutes to let it cool back down. They were so good when it was finally time to eat! I sliced Roma tomatoes and layered each slice with a corn cake, and topped with a very simple Cashew Mayonnaise.

On the Corn Cakes, I don't like jalapeƱo all that much, unless it's cooked with something, so instead of that, I used about the same volume of Pasilla chili instead. And on the Cashew Mayonnaise, I didn't want to cut open a whole onion for just a couple tablespoons, so I used green onion instead. Yum! I will definitely be making these again!

No comments: